Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Future Imagination

Doggone it if I'm not feeling kinda good these days. So good I'm forgetting to breathe. (pause for a moment to inhale, exhale). Whew. Much better.


Now, I've booked a few shows out east for November and crossing my fingers I can travel. Also, I'l be doing some music at the Mother Earth News fair this September in central PA. If I may stray off of the art/music/health overlap and jump on my green soapbox, I gotta say, "C'mon USA. Get some freakin' collective imagination." When it comes to energy consumption and technology we are like doddy aunts and uncles, stuck in our 20th century ways with no concept of what this world could be like in 2210. I mean, really, how often do I (do you, dear reader?) think about planet earth in 2210? 


Yeah, that's something.


Here we are, these soulful incredible beings, sharing this planet with millions of creatures. We are temporary players in this magical thing called living. Yet every day we feed the machine. We're not machines! Our hearts are warmer, our minds are poetry. We can screw up, yes. The paradox drives me nuts most days. Our collective unconsciousness of our own imagination and our ability to change, our human genius, is fed daily to the machine. I don't mean literal machines, although that's often the case. I mean systems and methods. When everything you have gets taken away, you can realize what you have that cannot be taken away. The heart informs the mind and the mind makes the threshold. And behind the heart is the pulse of life. That pulse is infinite. We are temporary and we are infinite.


So how much of how we live today actually makes any real sense?  Because there are doors to walk through and there is no other side. With my illness, I've had an opportunity to see my existence stripped down, and with my continuing recovery (crossing fingers!) I'm able to put my awareness to practice.


And all I am trying to say is that I am happy to play music at things like the Mother Earth News fair. I'm happy to make changes in my life and embrace the grand adventure, road to the unknown. It's all ok, you know. Good and bad, it's all ok. So what if I forget to breathe? I also remember to breathe. 

2 comments:

Janelle said...

You are wise. Keep on getting/being well. Hugs.

Leonard Nolt said...

Dear Heather;
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. You probably don't remember but I met you at one of the Mennonite church conventions, possibly Nashville, maybe Orlando, introduced by our mutual friend, Dave Hockman-Wert. I have 3 of your CDs and listen to them often. They're on my stack with other musicians such as REM, Emmylou Harris, Leonard Cohen, Lucinda Williams, Suzanne Vega, Joni Mitchell, etc. and your's get listened to as much as the other ones. Great company, and I think you're in the same class. Keep up the good work, and best wishes for your health and music.

Leonard Nolt
Boise, Idaho
LeonardNolt@AOL.com
www.leonardnolt.blogspot.com