Sunday, April 19, 2020

Returning to Old Friends


When I get anxious I find myself returning to the books and images of my youth that made me feel at home. Today I started rereading "The Sheltering Sky" by one of my favorite authors, Paul Bowles. I found this passage fitting to the imagery of painter Janet Fish, one of my inspirations when I was studying fine art in college.

“One never took the time to savour the details; one said: another day, but always with the hidden knowledge that each day was unique and fatal, that there never would be a return, another time.”   

- Paul Bowles

Fish's attention to detail, the way she bathes domestic abundance in light, is so alive and joyful and absent of dissonance. By contrast, Paul Bowles recognizes the fatality of each moment and in doing so he honors how sublime everything is. It's beautiful, stark, haunted. I think I gravitated to both creators for helping me recognizing my yes to life.



No comments: